Strength training is essential for anyone who wants to be fitter, stronger and healthier.
Many people are spending most of their workout time on cardiovascular exercise (treadmill, cross-trainer, jogging) and less time on strength training (also known as resistance training), with a common belief that the best way to lose weight is to count the calories that was burnt, and the longer the session the better. The truth is, strength training may just be the missing piece of puzzle to take your fitness to another level. Moreoever, there are many health benefits associated with strength training.
Here are 8 reasons why you should include strength training in your workouts:
1. You will be be physically fitter and stronger
2. Feel mentally stronger and more focused
3. Lose body fat and become leaner, which also means your body will be toned and looke sculpted
4. Raise your metabolic rate with ‘after burn’ effect
5. You will feel more energized
6. You will develop stronger bones and reduce the risk of osteoporosis
7. Help manage a variety of health conditions, e.g. high blood pressure, diabetes, back pain, arthritis and obesity
8. Enhance performance which makes everyday tasks easier
There are many ways to do strength training, which can be done at home or in the gym. My favourite choices are body weight exercises and using free weights (dumbbells, barbells and kettlebells).
When it comes to strength training, it is essential to exercise with good form. If you are new to strength training, always ask your trainer for a demonstration.
If you are based in Leatherhead, Surrey, why not book a free taster session to experience the benefits yourself?